Thursday, May 2, 2013

Wildflowers & Deep(ish) Thinking



As the days grow longer and hotter, the colors seem to pull back into the earth where water is lacking. On a walk this morning, I was delighted to find this burst of color in a violet wildflower.

Besides walking being good for me (and yes, I know running is even better, I just can't endure that kind of self-inflicted torture for long) I enjoy the refreshment that occurs during that brief time of the day when the only things to interrupt my thoughts are chirping birds and the sounds of the wind whirling through the wheat fields.

All the crap in the world and in my personal life stay at bay and I entertain the more peaceful and imaginative things of life. I often feel like Sarah from Sarah, Plain and Tall minus the bonnet. In my mind, I've often thought life had to have been easier in Kansas in 1910. Life may have been simpler in some aspects, such as no commuting to work or lines at the grocery store, but the long, hard days of physical labor to support one's family don't really sound that exhilarating. Yet there will always be a part of me that wishes I could go back.

When I walk across the dirt roads surrounded by acres of machine-planted fields, I wonder what the land looked like in 1910. I wonder if violet wildflowers like the one from my walk sprouted up in greater number, or if, like now, their beauty is in their scarcity?

I love thinking about stuff like this, but don't be fooled, such moments of deep thinking are not so common that I can't enjoy a lame joke or laughing at others (and often myself). So what about you? If you could to a distant land of the past, where would it be? What do you wonder or assume about that time?

~Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment